Friday, October 11, 2013

A Regular Day

Often when I read blogs of people far away I wonder to myself what a normal day consists of for them. It seems that we are only really motivated to do a blog update when something unusual or different happens. However, I am going to try and give you a little insight into what a "normal" day looks like here for me. Normal is hard to define since I am still trying to figure out what that looks like here, but I will try my best to give you a general idea!

On a normal day, I have classes at the university. I have to go there by bus and then by metro and this usually takes anywhere between 30-45 minutes. All of my classes are in the same building which is nice and convenient! However, the building is under construction this semester (year?) and the classrooms change randomly throughout the semester which is just a little confusing. I have a year long pass for the public transportation in Lausanne which allows me to hop on and off buses, metros, and trains within a specific zone. I travel by public transport to get everywhere: university, shops, church, team meetings, events, and more! There are some times (morning and evening) when it can be a little squishy but it goes pretty quickly and is also very punctual so it's not usually a problem.

My classes are all in French and they aren't just language classes, but courses in linguistics, literature, and culture as well. I also have a class on translation specifically for English speakers, this is quite an interesting class as well as incredibly practical! It is sometimes quite exhausting to focus in another language but everyone else in the courses with me is also an international. French is no one's first language, but it is the language we have to use to communicate with each other! It's a little bit different than taking French classes in the US!

I usually eat lunch on campus which means I have to pack lunch every day. There is a cafeteria for students but it costs money so I don't plan on buying food there very often. After classes I come back to my apartment and make dinner and do homework and get ready for the next day, unless there is some kind of activity going on in the evening!

So, there you go, a normal typical regular day (at least for now!)

No comments:

Post a Comment